There are many decisions people make while driving their vehicles in Florida. These decisions include how fast they will drive, when to change lanes and also quick decisions when forced to react to other drivers’ unexpected conduct. The last type of decision is crucial for drivers who may or may not end up in a motor vehicle accident depending on the choice that they make. Unfortunately, there are also times when an accident is unavoidable regardless of the decision that the driver makes at that time.
Being in a motor vehicle accident is not something people look forward to and even minor accidents can cause inconveniences to those involved. However, as people know some accidents can be quite severe and people can suffer significant injuries in them. Whether there is only minor damage or significant injuries though, people should take certain steps after being in one.
Steps to take after a car accident
The steps people take will be based on the severity of the accident and some of these steps will not be possible at the time, but if possible, people should:
- Move to a place where they will not be in danger of being hit by other vehicles
- Determine if there are injuries and call emergency personnel if needed
- Contact the police to document the scene
- Personally collect information about the scene and take pictures of the surroundings
- Collect the insurance information, license plate numbers, drivers’ license information and other relevant information from the other drivers
- Avoid admitting fault or discussing who is at fault for the accident
- Set a doctor’s appointment to determine potential injuries and the severity of known injuries. Signs of injuries may not arise right away while people have adrenaline running through them
- Contact one’s insurance company to report the accident
There are different types of compensation that people may be able to receive after an accident. Florida is a no fault state and certain compensation will be made no matter who is at fault. However, no fault coverage does not always cover all of the injuries and damages the victims suffer. The victims may need to seek compensation from the driver who caused the accident to be made whole again after the accident. Dealing with insurance companies is not always an easy process though. Experienced attorneys understand how to deal with the insurance companies and may be able to guide one through the process.